LONG before Bernie Sanders had even officially announced, on April 29, 2015, that he was running for President of the United States, it was declared that he has no real chance of winning.
Googling around for just a few minutes, I found the following, charting the course from “Long-Shot Candidate” to “No-Chance Candidate”:
- November 15, 2013: Bernie hints that he might run.
- November 30, 2013: Bernie included in NPR‘s list of potential “long-shot” 2016 presidential candidates.
- March 6, 2014: Bernie says he might run for president in an interview in The Nation.
- April 12, 2014: The Boston Globe writes, “His chances of winning the nomination would be rated as slim, at best…”
- June 3, 2014: Even liberal Salon.com declares that a possible Sanders 2016 campaign would be a “waste of time”.
- April 29, 2015: Bernie officially declares his candidacy.
- April 30, 2015: Newsweek headline: “He Won’t Win, So Why Is Bernie Sanders Running?”
And, when I talk to my fellow liberals/progressives, I’m saddened to find that most of them agree that Bernie is unelectable: he’s too old, too white, too socialist, too vocally anti-big-money, etc.
Bernie is SO right in that quote above! People have given up, convinced that the political deck is stacked against them, writing off worthy candidates like Bernie, or Dennis Kucinich before him, because these candidates are labeled as “unelectable” before they are even candidates, third party candidates aren’t invited to debates and they are marginalized by claims that they will be nothing more than spoilers, billions of dollars are pumped into Republican and Democrat campaigns, making it difficult for candidates not beholden to big money to run an effective campaign, etc.
And yet, despite all the nay-saying, Bernie insists that he is a serious candidate, that he means to win, that he refuses to take money from Wall Street and corporate interests, his website prominently displays this:
…and still he raised $3million from small donors in the first four days of his campaign!
As of today, one of those small donors is me.
Screw The “Bernie Sanders Can’t Win” Narrative!!!